Alfalfa/Forage Virtual Field Day
View Videos and Powerpoitns from the virtual field day held in September, 2020
This 'virtual field day' was held September 22, 2020. Many subjects were covered including alfalfa varieties, irrigation, sorghum production and feeding, use of sugar beets and safflower for forage, and research update on hemp. If you missed it, take a look at the videos and PowerPoints below.
- Alfalfa Yield/Quality with Reduced Lignin Lines – Dan Putnam, UCD (video)
- Forage Sorghum Types and Uses – Jeff Dahlberg, UC Kearney (video)
- Alfalfa Insect Pest IPM Update: Aphids, Weevils, Worms – Ian Grettenberger, UCD (video)
- Field Research on Industrial Hemp – Bob Hutmacher, Dan Putnam, UCD (video)
- PE Selection in the Time of Covid- Lisa Blecker, UC ANR (pdf)
- Crop Manage Irrigation Scheduling for Alfalfa – Michael Cahn, UC ANR (pdf)
- Sorghum as a Forage for Dairies—Jennifer Heguy, UC ANR (pdf)
- Sugar beets and Safflower as Alternative Forages—Steve Kaffka, UC Davis (ppt coming soon)
- Sorghum Deficit Irrigation Response—Bob Hutmacher, UCD (pdf)
- Choosing Alfalfa Varieties for High Yields and Pest Resistance—Dan Putnam, UCD (pdf)
- Surface Irrigation Strategies for Groundwater Recharge—Khaled Bali, UC Kearney (pdf)
2019 Western Alfalfa & Forage Symposium
November 19-21, Grand Sierra Resort, Reno, Nevada
Including Irrigation Workshop, Economics, Pest Management, Forage Quality, Genetics
Click Here for the Program Symposium
Was held in Cordoba, Argentina, November 11-14, 2018.
Colleagues from around the world gathered together to learn about alfalfa from a world perspective – economics, genetics, production, and science. Features 45+ speakers and a field day. Argentina is the world’s second largest producer of alfalfa (Lucerne).
See Proceedings Papers from the 2018 World Alfalfa Congress
Check out the Oral and Poster presentations here
Field Day Archive
The Alfalfa & Forage Systems Workgroup periodically holds field days to discuss on-going research. We have archived some of the handouts from these field days. Please see below to view selected handouts, presentations, and information from our 2014-2015 Field Days:
- Alfalfa/Forages Virtual Field Day - September, 2020
- Alfalfa/Forages Field Day - September, 2019
- Alfalfa/Forages Field Day - September, 2018
- Alfalfa & Small Grains Field Day - May, 2018
- Alfalfa/Forages Field Day - September, 2017
- Alfalfa/Small Grains Field Day - May, 2017
- Alfalfa/Forages Field Day - Kearney, September 2016
- Alfalfa/Small Grains Field Day - UC Davis, May, 2016
- Alfalfa/Field Crops Field Day - El Centro, April, 2015
- Alfalfa/Forages Field Day - UC Davis, September, 2015
- Alfalfa/Forages Field Day - Kearney, May, 2015
- Forage and Grain Sorghum Field Day & Workshop - Holtville, September, 2015
- Alfalfa/Forages/Biofuels Field Day - El Centro, April, 2014
- Alfalfa/Small Grains - Davis, May, 2014
- Alfalfa/Forages - Kearney Field Day, September 2014
This symposium has been sponsored by the University of California since 1971. We have all of the proceedings and many of the Powerpoints (and more recently, videos) of this conference on-line.
Please click on the year of interest:
All Symposia Proceedings (1971-2014) are archived with a search engine, which can be obtained on the Search Proceedings page
. Put in any subject or author to obtain articles on many subjects. This is a great source of Western alfalfa information.
A comprehensive 24-chapter publication designed to provide detailed, scientifically-based information about the growth, production, management, and utilization of alfalfa grown under irrigation. Lots of pest management information, forage quality, and variety information. Chapters can be downloaded, but it’s better to buy the whole publication.