Mark Your Calendars:
UC DAVIS ALFALFA, FORAGE, BIOFUELS AND SMALL GRAINS FIELD DAY
Live and in-person! Observe research trials! Hay Wagons!
When? 17th May, 2022, 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Sign in 7:30, Wagons depart 8:00, Lunch 12:15.
Where? 2400 Hutchison Dr., Davis, CA
Tours of Small Grains Breeding plots to follow in the afternoon. Barbeque Lunch provided courtesy of California Crop Improvement Association.
CE Credits Offered (2 INMP-CURES, CCA pending).
No cost, but requesting registration
WORLD ALFALFA CONGRESS
To be held November 14-17, 2022 in San Diego, CA
Registrations, exhibit opportunities, submission of papers now open. See:
This will be a gathering of alfalfa producers, advisors, industry members and scientists from around the US and world. Please join for this important event.
This meeting supplants the Western and California Symposium, which is typically held each year.
CLICK HERE FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
The 2021 Western Alfalfa and Forage Symposium
was held November 16 - 18, 2021
at the Grand Sierra Resort in Reno, NV
Click here for proceedings and videos of the presentations
ALFALFA/FORAGE PEST MANAGEMENT VIRTUAL WORKSHOP
PCA and CCA Credits Offered
This workshop covered many aspects of pest management of importance including weeds, insects, and diseases.
Organized by: University of California Cooperative Extension, UC Davis, UC Division of Agriculture & Natural Resources.
Day 1 Recording
Day 2 Recording
Alfalfa/Forage Virtual Field Day
This 'virtual field day' was held September 22, 2020. Many subjects were covered including alfalfa varieties, irrigation, sorghum production and feeding, use of sugar beets and safflower for forage, and research update on hemp. If you missed it, take a look at the videos and PowerPoints below.
- Alfalfa Yield/Quality with Reduced Lignin Lines – Dan Putnam, UCD (video)
- Forage Sorghum Types and Uses – Jeff Dahlberg, UC Kearney (video)
- Alfalfa Insect Pest IPM Update: Aphids, Weevils, Worms – Ian Grettenberger, UCD (video)
- Field Research on Industrial Hemp – Bob Hutmacher, Dan Putnam, UCD (video)
- PE Selection in the Time of Covid- Lisa Blecker, UC ANR (pdf)
- Crop Manage Irrigation Scheduling for Alfalfa – Michael Cahn, UC ANR (pdf)
- Sorghum as a Forage for Dairies—Jennifer Heguy, UC ANR (pdf)
- Sugar beets and Safflower as Alternative Forages—Steve Kaffka, UC Davis (ppt coming soon)
- Sorghum Deficit Irrigation Response—Bob Hutmacher, UCD (pdf)
- Choosing Alfalfa Varieties for High Yields and Pest Resistance—Dan Putnam, UCD (pdf)
- Surface Irrigation Strategies for Groundwater Recharge—Khaled Bali, UC Kearney (pdf)
November 19-21, 2019 @ Grand Sierra Resort, Reno, Nevada
Including Irrigation Workshop, Economics, Pest Management, Forage Quality, Genetics
Click Here for the Program Symposium
Field Day Archive
The Alfalfa & Forage Systems Workgroup periodically holds field days to discuss on-going research. We have archived some of the handouts from these field days. Please see below to view selected handouts, presentations, and information from our 2014-2015 Field Days:
- Alfalfa/Forages Virtual Field Day - September, 2020
- Alfalfa/Forages Field Day - September, 2019
- Alfalfa/Forages Field Day - September, 2018
- Alfalfa & Small Grains Field Day - May, 2018
- Alfalfa/Forages Field Day - September, 2017
- Alfalfa/Small Grains Field Day - May, 2017
- Alfalfa/Forages Field Day - Kearney, September 2016
- Alfalfa/Small Grains Field Day - UC Davis, May, 2016
- Alfalfa/Field Crops Field Day - El Centro, April, 2015
- Alfalfa/Forages Field Day - UC Davis, September, 2015
- Alfalfa/Forages Field Day - Kearney, May, 2015
- Forage and Grain Sorghum Field Day & Workshop - Holtville, September, 2015
- Alfalfa/Forages/Biofuels Field Day - El Centro, April, 2014
- Alfalfa/Small Grains - Davis, May, 2014
- Alfalfa/Forages - Kearney Field Day, September 2014
This symposium has been sponsored by the University of California since 1971. We have all of the proceedings and many of the Powerpoints (and more recently, videos) of this conference on-line.
Please click on the year of interest:
All Symposia Proceedings (1971-2019) are archived with a search engine, which can be obtained on the Search Proceedings page
. Put in any subject or author to obtain articles on many subjects. This is a great source of Western alfalfa information.
A comprehensive 24-chapter publication designed to provide detailed, scientifically-based information about the growth, production, management, and utilization of alfalfa grown under irrigation. Lots of pest management information, forage quality, and variety information. Chapters can be downloaded, but it’s better to buy the whole publication.